Did you know…
- You must weigh at least 110 pounds and be at least 17 years old to donate.
17 year-old Blood Donors-NEW Parental Consent Requirement. All 17 year olds, regardless of where they donate blood , MUST present at the time of donation, the new Parental Consent form that has been signed by their parent/guardian. In addition, parents/guardians must review the Zika Virus Research Information Sheet. For your convenience, click here for link and print your forms.
- It is important to eat before giving blood. Do not give blood on an empty stomach.
- Your body replaces the blood volume donated within 48 hours. Howevers, it takes up to 8 weeks to replace your red cells. That is why you can only donate blood every 8 weeks.
- Giving blood is safe and simple. There is no risk of contracting AIDS or any other disease by giving blood. Sterile needles and blood bags are used once and then discarded.
- The average male adult has about 12 pints of blood and an average female adult has 9 pints.